Pages

Tuesday 28 January 2014

New Moon


‘New Moon’ by Stephenie Meyer, is the second book of her famous ‘Twilight’ series, continuing the story of Bella and Edward from the first book.


 Bella’s life is complete by having love of her life Edward with her, He is her school mate and his sister Alice is a good friend. But why is she unhappy? Her boy friend is a Vampire, forever struck at his 17 year age, while she is getting older (Just 18) day after day. Her nightmares are filled with horror when she imagines him to be forever 17 and breathtakingly beautiful while she gets older and has wrinkles. He is careful to keep physical distance from her for her safety, while she is the one who carves more. He is intent on keeping her human to save her soul, while she believes being Vampire like Cullens is not bad idea when it gives Edward for eternity.

On her 18th  birthday, an accident happens on her birthday party and Edward’s Vampire brother Jasper loses his control attacking her. The incident leads to Edward and his leaving her, with the parting line, "You're not good for me, Bella." He turned his earlier words around, and so I had no argument. How well I knew that I wasn't good enough for him."

Bella goes into depression and tries life threatening antics to hear his voice (hallucinations), and to ease the pain in her heart on his leaving. Meanwhile her friendship with Jacob Black grows and she starts coming out of her depressions. Until one day Jacob black stops receiving her calls and supposedly has joined the others of LA push gang and Bella suspects he is into killing of hikers on the road.

Forks is threatened by Bear sightings, hikers are getting killed. Jacob black and other boys at La Push are behaving wildly and Bella knows their secret. Amidst Alice, (Edward’s Vampire Sister who can see future), mistakes one of Bella’s cliff diving adventure as her suicide attempt and the information reaches to Edward. Edward now has headed to Italy to provoke Vampire royalty- Volturi to get killed, and Bella along with Alice, rush to Italy to clear his misunderstanding and Save him.

The plot again is very interesting. While the predecessor ‘Twilight’ was full on romantic love story, with action only coming in climax, ‘New moon’ is adrenaline infused story especially whenever Jacob comes into scene. If Edward is the epitome of Magical - Romantic Prince Charming, Jacob is the fearless boy next door, full of raw masculinity. When I first read this book, I was very sad as Edward was missing for the most of the book, but the climax made up for it. Though Bella’s heartbrokenness makes us cry, the writer has kept it in limit to save the book from turning very dry. Thanks to these adventure filled antics she has infused in book, ‘New Moon’ turns out to be action packed sequel to Twilight.

Its again 4/5 read (-1 due to absence of Edward in the book, I am up for Team Edward).

The famous quotes:

“I promise that this will be the last time you’ll see me. I won’t come back. I won’t put you through anything like this again. You can go on with your life without any more interference from me. It will be as if I’d never existed

“It was like someone had died — like I had died. Because it had been more than just losing the truest of true loves, as if that were not enough to kill anyone. It was also losing a whole future, a whole family — the whole life that I’d chosen”

“The prince was never coming back to kiss me awake from my enchanted sleep. I was not a princess, after all. So what was the fairy-tale protocol for other kisses? The mundane kind that didn’t break any spells?”

“I thought I’d explained it clearly before. Bella, I can’t live in a world where you don’t exist.”

“It never made sense for you to love me. I always knew that.”

“Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars — points of light and reason… And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything.”

“The fairy tale was back on. Prince returned, bad spell broken. I wasn’t sure exactly what to do about the leftover, unresolved character. Where was his happily ever after?”

No comments:

Post a Comment