Pages

Wednesday 22 January 2014

Twilight

Twilight” is the first book of the same named series by Stephenie Meyer. There are other three books in the followed the series, New Moon, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn. The book was then adapted to make widely popular movie series with the same name, but personally for me the book series is much better than the movie one.



The story as widely known is about a teenage human girl falling in love with 104 year old vampire. Bella swan is an ordinary girl, who falls a lot, is very clumsy, always doubts on her abilities, cannot lie convincingly, and thinks about others before her own self. Sacrificing her love for the sun filled Phoenix so that her mother can live with her new husband, Bella moves to live with her Father to Forks- a sunless constantly raining place. In the high school, she sees a strange family of adopted brothers and sisters - The Cullens. {It was there, sitting in the lunchroom, trying to make conversation with seven curious strangers, that I first saw them. They were sitting in the corner of the cafeteria, as far away from where I sat as possible in the long room. There were five of them. They weren't talking, and they weren't eating, though they each had a tray of untouched food in front of them.}

Edward Cullen is the mysterious boy of her class, who is repellent of her for no reason.  He is dream boy of girls in the school, breathtakingly beautiful with flawless skin and ruffled hair. But like rest of the Cullens, he doesn’t mix with anybody in the school and behaves extremely abnormal around Bella, who is mystified by his beauty and horrified by his uncalled repentance towards her. {I didn't look up as I set my book on the table and took my seat, but I saw his posture change from the corner of my eye. He was leaning away from me, sitting on the extreme edge of his chair and averting his face like he smelled something bad. Inconspicuously, I sniffed my hair. }

Circumstances shape up like this that Edward had to save the life of Bella, and she starts to notice how different he is from a normal human being. Edward is now friendly to her, yet, evades her inquisitions but is obviously attracted to her. Bella tries to find her own, and after listening to local tales by   Jacob black- an old family friend, she realizes the cullens are in fact Vampires.

Edward saves Bella’s life once gain in Port Blair, and they went for dinner outside. Bella confesses her theories about his mind reading & the knowledge that she knows he is a Vampire, who hunts animals instead of humans. Edward though initially shocked, admits to it and his liking for Bella and explains how he is trying to control his urge near (of blood drinking) her.
{About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was part of him — and I didn't know how potent that part might be — that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.}

The rest of the story is about how their love progressed till comes a villain. The story ends on a dramatic climax.

The best thing about Twilight is that though principal character in it is Vampire, the heart of the story is the love between Edward and Bella. The vampirisim of Edward only offer him a super hero like image without compromising with the intensity of the first love.

Twilight is best read because –
- The Principal characters Edward’s larger than life personality. He is not a scary vampire but somehow Stephen makes him boy of every girls dream.
-   The ordinariness of Bella, which makes every girl associate with her. She is not high school captain or most beautiful girl in the town. She is clumsy, doesn’t know how to dance, but every boy likes her.
-    Writer has taken pain to mark every even a tiny little detail and put it on paper for us.
-   The romance, the hesitation of the first love, the anxiety before the first kiss, all the feelings are aptly described in the book.
-     Vampirism is not bloody or scary but magical and loving.

It is indeed 5/5 read for me,  making me thirsty.errr…hungry to grab the next book in the series.

Sharing other favorite quotes not listed above:

{"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…" he murmured. I looked away, hiding my eyes as I thrilled to the word.

"What a stupid lamb," I sighed.

"What a sick, masochistic lion." }


{And I knew in that I had my answer. I didn't know if there ever was a choice, really. I was already in too deep. Now that I knew — if I knew — I could do nothing about my frightening secret. Because when I thought of him, of his voice, his hypnotic eyes, the magnetic force of his personality, I wanted nothing more than to be with him right now.}

{He shook his head again. "I was wrong about you on one other thing, as well. You're not a magnet for accidents — that's not a broad enough classification. You are a magnet for trouble. If there is anything dangerous within a ten-mile radius, it will invariably find you."}

(And then, as the room went black, I was suddenly hyper aware that Edward was sitting less than an inch from me. I was stunned by the unexpected electricity that flowed through me, amazed that it was possible to be more aware of him than I already was. A crazy impulse to reach over and touch him, to stroke his perfect face just once in the darkness, nearly overwhelmed me. I crossed my arms tightly across my chest, my hands balling into fists. I was losing my mind.}

No comments:

Post a Comment